Acne Scarring & Scars
Acne post-inflammatory scars occurs early after acne and develops when a wound or irritation (like a scrape, rash, or pimple) causes your skin to become inflamed. This happens when a skin injury or trauma heals, it produces too much melanin and leaves a flat area of discolouration behind.
- Stay out of the sun. Overexposure to the sun can darken scars and make them look more prominent. But if you do go outside, practice sun safety and wear broad-spectrum sunscreen daily
- Prevent excess oil build up and cleanse your face twice a day
- Treat acne as soon as it develops
- Exfoliate once a week to encourage new skin
- Don’t pick your spots or scabs as it’s the quickest shortcut to a scar
- Reduce inflammation by avoid doing anything that will further irritate your skin. Aggressive scrubbing and harsh skincare products should be avoided.
HOW WE CAN HELP
Here at Savant King’s Cross we have multiple treatment options to treat acne scarring:
- When treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, look out for ingredients like vitamin C, retinoids and acids such as alpha hydracid. Consult with your Savant specialist which products would be best for you.
- Hyaluronic filler injections are best used for atrophic scars and rolling scars. They have the advantage of immediate improvement and minimal downtime.
- Laser treatments: There are two main types of laser treatments – ablative and non-ablative. Ablative (or wounding) lasers remove thin layers of skin. Non-ablative (non-wounding) lasers stimulate collagen growth and tighten underlying skin.
- Radiofrequency which delivers higher energy deeper into the dermis (skin).
- Microneedling which breaks down scar tissue and stimulates the formation of new collagen. By making micro-wounds in the skin, we are forcing it to produce new healthy collagen and elastin which reforms the skin
- Chemical peels to exfoliate dead and darkened scar skin cells, and also kick-start your body’s natural production of collagen.
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.