At Savant, we understand that acne can negatively affect your life in different ways. Acne can impact your self-esteem, your self-confidence, your social life, and the way you interact with others. It’s more than just a skin condition; acne can affect the way you feel about yourself. Treating acne is often a long journey that can take its toll, but our aim is to help you regain confidence and feel happy with the way your skin looks.
Whether you are suffering from teenage acne or hormonal acne in your adult life, our experienced team of specialists can help you find the best course of treatments, to manage your acne and significantly improve its appearance.
what is acne?
Acne, also known as “acne vulgaris”, is a common skin problem that occurs when your hair follicles which are connected to oil glands become clogged with dead skin cells, dirt, bacteria and oil, resulting in pimples. Acne is most common among teenagers, though it affects people of all ages. The most common areas that acne where acne can develop is on the face, back, chest and shoulders because these areas of skin have the most oil (sebaceous) glands.
Certain hormones cause the oil-producing glands next to hair follicles in the skin to produce larger amounts of oil (abnormal sebum). This abnormal sebum changes the activity of a usually harmless skin bacterium called P. acnes, which becomes more aggressive and causes inflammation and pus. The hormones also thicken the inner lining of the hair follicle, causing blockage of the pores, and sometimes cleaning the skin alone isn’t enough to remove this blockage.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACNE?
Acne signs and symptoms vary depending on the severity of your condition:
- Whiteheads (closed plugged pores) have a similar appearance to blackheads, but may be firmer and will not empty when squeezed
- Blackheads (open plugged pores) small black or yellowish bumps that develop on the skin; they’re not filled with dirt, but are black because the inner lining of the hair follicle produces colour
- Small red, tender bumps (papules)
- Pimples (pustules), which are similar to papules but have a white tip in the centre, caused by a build-up of pus
- Large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin (nodules)
- Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin (cystic lesions)
Early treatment for acne can prevent these problems. Studies show that the longer acne lasts, the more likely it is to affect one’s emotions and leave acne scarring. Without treatment, acne can also worsen.
CAUSES OF ACNE
- Certain things can cause acne and/or make it worse:
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells which accumulate in pores
- Bacteria build up in pores
- Excess activity of a type of hormone (androgens)
- Poor Hygiene and not having a daily skincare routine
- Clogged pores from excessive sweating
- Fluctuating hormone levels around the time of a woman’s period.
- Air pollution and certain weather conditions, especially high humidity.
- Using oily or greasy personal care products
- Too much stress can increase the hormone cortisol, can also cause acne to flare.
- Certain medications.
- Keep your face clean by cleansing twice daily
- Keep your skin moisturised with a hydrating cream
- Practice sun safety and wear broad spectrum sunscreen daily
- Use makeup sparingly and use non-comodogenic products, meaning it doesn’t clog pores
- Keep hands and hair off your face
- Nourish your skin from the inside – drink more water and eat healthy fruits and vegetables. Avoid dairy and foods high in processed sugar as it may trigger acne
- Don’t pick your spots
- Do what helps you to relieve stress like yoga, trying a relaxing facial or deep tissue massage
- You can also avoid any foods which seem to trigger breakouts for you, such as dairy and high-glycemic foods
HOW WE CAN HELP
While acne can improve over time, it can often leave scars behind. It is recommended to treat Acne as soon as it appears, and here at Savant we have multiple treatment options to treat this problem and prevent scar-forming, such as:
- Consult with your Savant specialist on which products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, retinol and other acids are best to apply on your skin.
- Microneedling, which stimulates collagen production and lessens the appearance of scars.
- Laser treatments
- Chemical peels to remove the scarred surface and expose unblemished layers
- Superficial peels such as glycolic or salicylic acid to help loosen whiteheads, blackheads and decrease pimples
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) to remove excess oil and dead skin cells from clogged pores.
Can all types of acne be treated?
Yes, we help clients with all types of acne. The treatment solutions we offer will depend on the type of acne and skin type, as everyone has different skin problems and personal preferences. Our specialist will recommend highly effective treatments and products tailored to your skin so that you can achieve smooth, acne-free skin. Consult with your Savant specialist on which products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, retinol and other acids are best to apply on your skin.
But even if you’re thinking your acne may be too severe to treat, our specialists are able to recommend highly effective treatments, products and advise you on how to maintain your skin at home.
TREATING ACNE SCARS & HYPERPIGMENTATION
Scars and dark marks (called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) can be just as troubling to you as acne. While there are ways to minimize scarring, you may still develop some scars even with careful care. This is especially true if you have severe acne, inflamed breakouts, or are simply prone to scarring. For pitted scars, dermal fillers can be used for treating pitted acne scars. These fillers can improve the contour of the skin and reduce the depressions in the skin caused by acne scars.
If you are looking to treat acne scarring, rather than active acne (spots and cysts), take a look at our dedicated acne scar treatments
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR
If products and treatments don’t clear your acne, see your primary care doctor. He or she can prescribe stronger medications. If acne persists or is severe, you may want to seek medical treatment from a doctor who specialiSes in the skin (dermatologist).
For many women, acne can persist for decades, with flares common a week before menstruation. This type of acne tends to clear up without treatment in women who use contraceptives.
Seek emergency medical help if after using a skin product you experience:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips or tongue
- Tightness of the throat.
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.
During your initial consultation, one of our skin experts will create a tailor-made treatment plan to suit your specific acne issues and skin type. The treatments can range from the non-invasive laser and non-laser treatments. Our specialists will confirm the suitable treatment after examination of your skin and ensure that you benefit from the best possible permanent results in the minimum time.
To find out how our experts can help you, book a free consultation with one of our skin experts, who will create a tailor-made skincare plan just for you. Call us now 020 3940 8402