Age Spots / Sun Spots
Age spots, also known as liver spots, sun spots or “solar lentigines” are flat brown, gray, or black spots that generally appear on the hands, face, neck and chest which are sun-exposed areas.
Prolonged sun exposure causes age spots to develop and are a result of the body producing excess melanin. Melanin is the skin’s natural pigment that gives skin its colour.
When the skin is exposed to sunlight, the body produces extra melanin to protect the skin from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
The more melanin produced in that area, the darker the skin becomes.
Age spots appear when excess melanin in the skin becomes clumped together.
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. because the sun’s rays are most intense during this time
- Practice sun safety and wear broad-spectrum sunscreen daily
- Wear sun protective clothing, hats and sunglasses too
- Refrain from using tanning beds
- Wear gloves when cycling or gardening for an extended period in the sun
- Take extra precautions around water, snow, or sand, as these surfaces reflect the sun’s rays
- Wear a lip balm with SPF 30 or higher
HOW WE CAN HELP
Here at Savant, we have multiple treatment options to help treat age spots / sun spots:
- Cryotherapy, or freezing, which involves removing the age spot with a cold substance such as liquid nitrogen, to destroy the extra pigment.
- Laser and intense pulsed light therapies using high intensity beams can target melanin granules and melanin-producing cells (melanocytes) without damaging the skin’s surface.
- Microdermabrasion, a non-invasive treatment that involves exfoliating the skin.
- Laser resurfacing, which can remove sun-damaged cells to freshen skin and fade spots.
- Chemical peel, which involves applying to the age spots an acid that releases the outer layer of your skin, peeling away the dead cells.
- Consult with your Savant specialist which retinol to smooth fine lines and to lighten dark spots
These removal techniques can also make the skin extra sensitive to sunlight. Anyone who has undergone one of these procedures should take extra precautions in the sun and consult with your Savant specialist which products to continue using.
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.
Healite II LED Therapy
CRYOPEN / CRYOTHERAPY
Advanced Chemical Peels
Obagi Skin Systems
Advanced Chemical Peels