Broken capillaries, also known as “telangiectasias,” are dilated or broken blood vessels located near the surface of the skin or mucous membranes that create visible red lines. They occur when the capillary walls expand and contract too quickly, causing them to tear and allowing blood to seep out.
- Skin trauma e.g. inflammation or rosacea
- Medical conditions
- Excess sun exposure
- Harsh weather conditions and extreme temperature changes
- Over-processing the skin with harsh products
- Practice sun safety and wear broad spectrum sunscreen daily
- Avoid steaming and using overly hot water on the skin and use only warm water
- Avoid aggressive scrubbing, exfoliating, and pimple-popping
- Wear protective gear to protect your skin from harsh environmental factors
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods as they can cause vessels to fill with blood, which makes capillaries look more pronounced.
HOW WE CAN HELP
Here at Savant King’s Cross, we have multiple treatment options to improve the appearance of broken blood vessels:
- Apply vitamin A creams (tretinoin), since they can boost collagen and quality in the skin, adding a skin-strengthening serum to your daily routine.
- Laser therapy which uses a specific wavelength of light to selectively heat hemoglobin (the protein responsible for the red color of blood) and seal dilated blood vessels.
- IPL (intense pulsed light), which uses the same concept as laser therapy, but with light that penetrates down to the second layer of skin without harming the top layer.
- Facials that reduce redness, soothing, and providing protection from environmental stressors
- Purchase hydrating cooling products with hydrating and brightening benefits. Consult with your Savant specialist on which products are best suited to you.
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.