Eczema & Psoriasis
Eczema, also called atopic dermatitis, is a common skin condition marked by itchy and inflamed patches of skin.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder where rapid skin cell reproduction results in raised, red and white scaly patches of skin.
CAUSES OF ECZEMA
The exact cause of atopic eczema is unknown, but it’s clear it is not down to one single thing. Atopic eczema often occurs in people who get allergies. “Atopic” means sensitivity to allergens. It can run in families, and often develops alongside other conditions, such as asthma and hay fever.
Common triggers of eczema flare-ups include:
- Chemicals found in cleaners and detergents that dry out the skin
- Rough scratchy material, like wool
- Synthetic fabrics
- Raised body temperature
- Temperature changes
- Sudden drop in humidity
- Food allergies
- Animal dander
- Upper respiratory infections
- Moisturise frequently
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature or humidity
- Keep cool
- Avoid sweating or overheating
- Reduce stress
- Avoid scratchy synthetic materials, such as wool and raw linen. Use 100% cotton which is comfortable and allows the skin to breathe.
- Avoid harsh soaps, detergents, and solvents
- Be aware of any foods that may cause an outbreak and avoid those foods
- Use a humidifier in the room where you sleep
- Take short showers using lukewarm water
- Avoid scratching
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.