Melasma, also called ‘chloasma’ and ‘pregnancy mask’, is a common skin condition that causes brown or greyish patches of pigmentation (colour) to develop, usually on the face.
The exact cause is not known, but it is thought to be because of pigment-producing cells in the skin (melanocytes) producing too much pigment (melanin).
Several factors can contribute to developing melasma:
- Internal hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Using hormonal drugs such as birth control pills and hormone replacements
- Sun exposure
- Avoid known triggers such as birth control pills and hormone therapy
- Practice sun safety and wear broad-spectrum sunscreen daily
- Wearing a wide-brimmed hat that shields or provides shade for your face
- Wearing protective clothing is especially important if you’ll be in the sun for an extended period of time.
HOW WE CAN HELP
Whilst there is no cure for Melasma, Savant experienced non-surgical team will bespoke a treatment to drastically improve the appearance of Melasma.
- Chemical peels can improve melasma by removing the outermost cells of the skin that contain the pigment. Chemical peels should be undertaken by an experienced practitioner as they could make the pigmentation worse, lighten the skin too much or cause scarring.
- Microdermabrasion techniques by removing the top layer of the skin can improve melasma, but dramatic results are not generally seen or expected after one or two treatments.
- Microneedling is a process where the skin is repeatedly punctured with tiny needles to help creams penetrate deeper into the skin.
- Some types of laser also remove the outer layer of skin, whereas others target the pigment-producing cells (melanocytes). The success of laser therapy is variable, and there may be risks associated with this treatment.
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.
Obagi Skin Systems
Advanced Chemical Peels
Healite II LED Therapy