Loose or sagging skin occurs when internal or external factors affect the key molecules that help keep the skin elastic, firm, and hydrated.
- Skin loosening that occurs with age is mostly due to a loss of collagen networks, elastin fibers, and hyaluronic acid — a molecule that helps the skin retain moisture.
- Weight loss, especially significant or rapid weight loss, and pregnancy can also loosen the skin by stretching skin molecules or changing the structure of the skin.
Several other health and lifestyle factors can also contribute to loose skin, including:
- Ultraviolet (UV) light damage
- Certain medications, such as steroids and corticosteroids
- Skin products or detergents that contain harsh chemicals
- Drinking alcohol
- Practice sun safety and wear broad spectrum sunscreen daily
- Firming products such as gels and creams for the topical treatment of minor cases of loose skin. People who wish to purchase a firming product should look for products containing retinoid compounds. Retinoids are potent antioxidants that may boost collagen production.
- Antioxidants can also help stimulate the growth of collagen and elastin.Examples of the antioxidants present in some foods, drinks, and nutritional supplements include: vitamins A, C, D, and E coenzyme Q10 selenium zinc
HOW WE CAN HELP
Here at Savant we have multiple treatment options to treat this problem:
- Massage may improve blood flow and stimulate fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are cells that help produce connective tissues, such as collagen and elastin, that keeps skin firm.
- Laser treatments such as IPL
We recommend having a consultation prior to the treatment, where our highly experienced Savant Specialists will assess the areas you wish to treat and generate a bespoke treatment plan for you.